Sewing Placemats with Binding – Video Tutorial
I am an Amazon Affiliate. If you make a purchase through any of my links, I will receive a small commission from your sale. Thank you for your support. 🙂
If you’ve been looking for a tutorial for sewing placemats from a Placemat Fabric Panel – like the 12 monthly panels that are part of a collection I created for Riley Blake Designs – you’ve come to the right place.
This video tutorial will also be helpful if you want to make quilted placemats from any fabric – simply substitute an 11” x 18” piece of fabric for the front and the rest will be the same. I also cover how to make quilt binding (that you will use for your placemats in this case) and tricks to get great corners and how to connect the two ends perfectly.
I’ve created a pdf download with the supply list and cutting requirements for your convenience.
Because this is a rather long tutorial I’ve provided shortcuts to the time for specific topics – of course feel free to sit back and watch the whole thing!
SHORTCUTS TO SPECIFIC TOPICS
- 32 secs – Fabric Requirements & Cutting Directions
- 2:41 – Layering the Fabrics
- 3:49 – Quilting the Placemat
- 5:25 – free motion quilting (totally optional but I show you what I do)
- 7:03 – Trimming the Placemat to Size
- 7:50 – Making Binding
- 10:46 – Sewing the Binding onto the Placemat
- 11:49 – How to Fold the Binding at the Corners to get Sharp, Mitered Corners
- 13:59 – Joining the ends of the binding to the perfect size every time
- 19:18 – Finishing the Binding – Hand or Machine Binding
- 26.16 – See all 6 placemats for November in the Monthly Placemat Program from Riley Blake Designs
Music: Music by Lesfm available at Pixabay
AMAZON LINKS TO PRODUCTS USED IN THIS VIDEO
Sewing placemats for each month of the year is a great way to add some fun to the table without taking up a lot of storage space!
Because they are so useful they would make great wedding gifts to get the new couple started, hostess gifts and more.
✂️ Happy sewing! Tara Reed