Want to make cute round bowls from fabric?
These are great to store your odds and ends – from sewing to hair to paper clips, everything looks better in something homemade!
I found the instructions for these on aspoonfulofsugardesigns.com where they give you directions for a few different sizes. So far I've only made them with 8″ circles (finished size is 5″ across and about 1.5″ high) – they are perfect for my beloved fabric clips!
These examples are made using my Homestead Life fabric from Riley Blake Designs.
I keep one on my cutting table (where they go on) and one on the sewing machine (where they come off!) They make me happy every time I see them! (Much cuter than the Rubbermaid lid I was using, don't you think?)
What you need:
- Three 8″ rounds: outside fabric, inside fabric and fusible interfacing (I use Pellon 987F – you will need to gather the edges so don't use anything too heavy)
- Binding fabric: 2 1/4″ x 14″
- FUSE batting to the wrong side of the outside fabric
- Wrong sides together, BASTE around the circles twice making sure your stitching is less than 1/4″ from the edge so the basting doesn't show when you add the binding
- GATHER so the flat circles become a shallow bowl (it's like magic!)
- PRESS the binding strip in half, lengthwise
- CLIP the binding around the gathered edge, raw edges together. Fold overlapping end so you don't have raw fabric showing on the finished bowl
- STITCH with a scant 1/4″ seam
- FOLD binding to the inside of the bowl and clip.
- STITCH with a scant 1/4″ seam to finish
These would be great for hair bows, buttons, trinkets and more. Also a cute way to give a gift – fill it with candy for a teacher or beads for your favorite jewelry crafter… what ideas do you have? I'd love to know – drop them in the comments!
Have a happy & creative day!
– Tara Reed
P.S. Want to see more FREE patterns and projects using the Homestead Life fabrics? CLICK HERE >
Materials Used in this Project:
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. It’s one of the ways I support my site.
Love this and want to make sure you don't miss a thing?
Become a Quilting & Sewing Insider!
For the price of your email address you will get free patterns, trend reports, how-tos and news about fabrics by Tara Reed Designs, manufactured and sold by Riley Blake Designs. There will even be exclusive giveaways just for insiders who not only sign up but OPEN the emails!